Thursday, August 4, 2011

Coming of Age as a Global Citizen

Museum of London

Karim, from Buddha of Suburbia, has to grapple with two very different sides of himself to understand himself. In the past, different races have had to grapple with their sides to find ways to work and live with each other harmoniously. 

 V&A Museum

This skull is one of many that have been used in the famous play Hamlet. Like many people, Karim uses acting to try to find himself. 

 V&A Museum

Karim takes on a role that is meant to express some of his father's culture but ends up being an embarrassment. The creator for the Lion King costumes, however, was respectful of the African culture and worked to express the character's emotions.

Photograph by Chris Nash

When I was younger, I expressed myself through dance. 

Wesley Chapel

Now, I often find myself in my religion. On this trip I had the chance to visit Wesley's chapel, the founding chapel of Methodism. 


Whatever your method for finding your global citizenry, whether it be through dance or religion or acting, the process is an ongoing one just like the London Eye goes in an ongoing circle. 

5 comments:

  1. I like how you made a connection with yourself through our topic this week. I think it shows how our trip over here has affected how we now feel about certain things, including ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Tiffany: I really enjoyed how you made connections to your life through Buddha of Suburbia. It seems like you were really able to relate to Karim!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how you ended your blog, it is so true that it is a ongoing process just like the London Eye! I also really the picture of one of the pods at night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too liked the overarching shape to this blog, and the personal connections that you share, too. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also like the last picture with the London Eye and its relation to the ongoing way we try to gain global citizenship! Your pictures all relate well to your comments and are really well done.

    ReplyDelete